Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Making of: Mizuki B&W

This photo was taken during my second pet shoot in my portfolio building project. My client has two cats, Mizuki and Takashi. Mizuki is a beautiful long hair calico that loves posing for the camera. I already had a lot of great shots of her but I still had more time to fill. I asked the owner to go about her routines with her cats and to do stuff with them and pretend I wasn't there. At one point, she decided to trim the cat's nails. Takashi hates it so I didn't get any good photos of him but Mizuki just gave me the calmest face and sat there and acted like nothing was happening. I decided to take photos at different angles and the front one turned out the best. Her expression doesn't give any indication what's happening to her.



To edit the photo, I opened it in Adobe Camera RAW and barely changed the highlights, shadows, blacks, whites, and clarity. Then I opened it in Photoshop to convert it to black and white. I made a mask so the cat wasn't affected during the process. I used the pen tool then made a selection with a feather of two pixels. Then I selected the eyes to brighten them and make them pop a bit. The last thing I did was remove the bell from the cat's collar because it was a little distracting. I used a combination of the clone stamp and healing brush tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment